Thursday, February 10, 2011

My identity as a Singaporean.

“Beep! Beep!” the impatient horns of the cars sounded through the jammed road. The cars inched forwards slowly at a crawling pace. The people in the bus suffered the most as the bus was congested with people from all walks of life. The bus was packed to the extend that we were able to smell each other’s breaths and there would be a domino effect if the bus would to be an unanticipated jerk.
The beginning of another long and tormenting day was marked with the calls from both nature and the human environment. I trudge my way to the nearby bus stop. It took the bus approximately fifteen minutes before it arrived at the bus stop. The bus was still rather empty, but it would not take long for it to be filled up. As proven by experience, the bus was soon packed with people, most of them being either an office worker or a student with earpieces in their ears. Majority was shifting their gases around the bus observing the environment.
Gradually, the bus slowed down and came to a halt. The front doors swung opened. Entered came a little old grandmother which seemed to be around her mid seventies, with a few heavy looking plastic bags in her hand. She was slightly hunched and had a few of her teeth missing. Then, the following events happened as if they were rehearsed. The old lady surveyed the bus with her dull eyes, hoping there would be an empty seat for her. The passengers in the bus detected her and began to mind their own business. Some were looking out of the window, pretending to sleep or be engrossed with something. With a disappointed expression, the elderly, with some difficulty, manoeuvred her way away from the entrance. After several minutes, none of those seated were willing to offer their seats to the poor old lady. I observed in utter disgust.
Then, a comment struck my mind,” What is wrong with all the people? Did they left their homes in a rush and accidentally left their sense of compassion and kindness on their beds? What has the society turned into?” Without further hesitations, I offered my seat to the old granny and she thanked me profusely. Instantly, a sense of happiness overwhelmed me. Some of the adults who stood beside me praised me some of those who were strong enough looked out of the window in embarrassment.
When the bus came to halt at the next bus stop, a pregnant woman boarded the bus and was holding on to her stomach and moving very slowly. Upon seeing her, another young gentleman stood up and offered his seat to the lady. Then, it was my turn to alight.
As I walked my into my school, feeling and thought began to surface. As a Singaporean I fear that Singapore would turn a ugly and inconsiderate country and the entire country would be in trouble in time to come. The people in Singapore lack the discipline and would be controlled by their minds instead of controlling their minds. Recalling the young man's actions, I concluded that Singaporeans would not take the initiative and would only wait for others to do so before continuing.
Coincidentally, I met my friend as I was proceeding to the canteen. He was gulping down Milo from the packet drink. Upon finishing the Milo, he placed the packet on the floor and left although he knew that there was a dustbin right in front of him. There was absolutely no reason for him to have done so. The sense of happiness left me and and anger began to surface. I reprimanded him and all he said was that it was none of my business.
I thought that rules and regulations may seem to be foolish or childish, however, it is necessary as the behaviour of the citizens have showed it. I cannot comprehend why Singaporeans must behave in such inappropriate manners and not have a sense of social responsibility.
I knew that it was up to me to help my country and serve the nation. As a Singaporean, I vowed and took up the role of setting a good example for my juniors and people around me and hope that they would be able to pass it down and make Singapore a better place.

4 comments:

  1. Arnold, good post! It shows a creative spark as you were able to use a daily incident that often goes unnoticed to demonstrate a Singapore identity although it is less than glamorous. You used good description and phrases to signify a daily experience that inspired you to be able to relate to a Singaporean identity and hopes for the country that "everyone would to do their part in being responsible and considerate, then Singapore would be very beautiful country"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story depicts another scene of Singapore's "kiasu-ness". It is quite approriate but with many grammar mistakes. There is one sentence which I did not understand- "The people in Singapore lack the discipline and would be controlled by their minds instead of controlling their minds." I hope that you can edit these mistakes and I look forward to your next draft. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that your story is quite good and i like your sentence "Did they left their homes in a rush and accidentally left their sense of compassion and kindness on their beds? What has the society turned into?” I agree with you that sometimes people can be so egocentric that they don't give up seats to people who needs it more than them. However, as the pendulum swings both ways, you could also write about something good about "kiasu-ness". That was just my suggestion. Overall, quite well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arnold. Great story and vivid description you have there. It defines the kind of life we have here in Singapore. A few more examples of such behaviors would be great. Maybe at the point before you left the bus, you could say you give up your sit to the old lady? Perhaps you could be the odd one out of all the Singaporeans in Singapore. You will be the only one who is responsible and caring. Hope this helps. Overall well done and I look forward to your final draft. :)

    ReplyDelete