Monday, May 24, 2010

My Sabbaticals

After 5 days of hard work, it was finally over. Together with me, 5 other o3's, Zihan, Yu Xiang, Jack, Tiet Gan and Stanford signed up for the drums sabbatical. During these five days, we had learnt a lot of things and we gained new experiences and had lots of fun.
Beginning in the first day, we did nothing much but learning the different beats and the techniques of playing drums. We learnt the quarter note, eighth note and the sixteenth note. We were taught how to hold the drumsticks which looks like a pair of gigantic chopsticks. As expected, the first day was sure boring and when I went home that day, I even got giddy and a serious headache after that!

The following day, I add learnt my lesson and I brought my earpiece there.During that day we were taught how to read a drum score. Then when the instructor announced the news, I got the fright of my life. We were going to perform a song entitled 'Photograph' by Nickelback after the whole sabbatical in order to show that we had learnt something after the five days. To make things worse, we were not just going to perform for the friends that we had gotten more close to, but the group of guitarists as well.

During Wednesday and Thursday, we lots of practise and when it came to my turn to try on the drum set, I would sort of panic and start to fumble. Zihan and Yu Xiang looked very funny when they were playing.Althought we made a fool out of ourselves, we had lots of fun. On Thursday, something funny happened. The teacher in charged of the performance, Mr Ong came in and practice with us. He was great at not only the drums, but also the guitar. While our coach,Jonathan was talking, Mr Ong suddenly turned around and commented that a boy with no hair, who was sitting beside us looks like a monk. Yu Xiang, Zihan, Jack and me all laughed out loud.

The big day finally arrived! All of us were very nervous and our palms were icy cold,especially mine. However, when the music came on, we started to enjoy ourselves and all the fear were being shook out of our bodies by the rocking music. We all had fun.

After this whole sabbatical, I have greatly benefited and may consider picking up drums one day if only I have the time. It was indeed an unforgettable experience. Now I wish to go to other sabbaticals which teaches us how to play an instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment